Throughout their Year in Prep, students will have opportunities to learn in many different ways. Prep students will participate in active learning through the Explicit Teaching model. They draw conclusions, solve problems, cultivate thinking skills, collaborate, communicate and develop a positive sense of self.
Prep students explore the following subjects/topics:
- English: students will develop their knowledge, understanding and skills in listening, reading, viewing, speaking, writing and creating. They will build on concepts, skills and processes developed in earlier years.
- Mathematics: students will connect names, numerals and quantities, count numbers in sequences, continue patterns and compare the lengths of objects, use materials to model problems, sort objects, use familiar counting sequences to solve unfamiliar problems
- Science: students will observe and describe the behaviours and properties of everyday objects, materials and living things. They will explore changes in the world around them, including changes that impact on them, such as the weather, and changes they can effect, such as making things move or change shape. They will learn that seeking answers to questions they pose and making observations is a core part of science and use their senses to gather different types of information.
- HASS: Students will develop an understanding of their personal worlds, including their personal and family histories and the places they and their families live in and belong to.
- Technologies: students will be given the opportunity to create designed solutions. They will learn about common digital systems and patterns that exist within data they collect.
Prep children also learn about:
- negotiating rights, roles and responsibilities and developing social skills for working and playing with others
- diverse social and cultural practices of people in their community
- making healthy choices
- experimenting with materials in a variety of creative, imaginative and innovative ways
- technology in everyday life
- music and movement.
For more information about Prep: