A Parents and Citizens’ Association (P&C) is a group of community minded people, parents and citizens, who take on a more formal role to assist the school in providing:
- feedback on school policies and activities
- additional resources to be used to enhance student learning
- parents with opportunities to be involved in their child’s education.
The P&C Association is there to work with the principal and the school community in a productive partnership to achieve the best possible outcomes for students of the institution. It is not the role of the P&C Association to interfere in the daily running of the school, which is the role of the principal. The principal’s supervisor is the DETE Assistant Regional Director. The principal will ask the P&C Association to endorse various documents during the course of the year.
Some of the functions of the P&C are:
- To foster community interest in educational matters.
- To encourage closer cooperation between the parents of students attending the school, other members of the community, staff and students of the school.
- To provide advice and recommendations to the principal of the school on issues and concerns in respect of students and the general operation and management of the school.
- To provide or assist in the provision of financial or other resources or services for the benefit of students of the school.
- To perform any other functions, not inconsistent with the Act, as the Minister may decide.